The National Defence and Security Council of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar held a meeting 1/2024 at the meeting hall of the State Administration Council (SAC) Chairman’s Office in Nay Pyi Taw on 31 January.
It was attended by Pro Tem President U Myint Swe, Vice-President U Henry Van Thio, Speaker of the Pyithu Hluttaw U T Khun Myat, Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Commander-in-Chief (Army) Vice-Senior General Soe Win, Union Minister for Defence Admiral Tin Aung San, Union Minister for Home Affairs Lt-Gen Yar Pyae, Union Minister for Foreign Affairs U Than Swe, Union Minister for Border Affairs Lt-Gen Tun Tun Naung and those who were invited on the special occasion including SAC Secretary Lt-Gen Aung Lin Dway and Joint-Secretary Lt-Gen Ye Win Oo.
During the meeting, the SAC Chairman Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services explained in details as follows:
· Matters pertaining to serving of the State defence and security duties during the extended six-month period.
· Acts of terrorism occurred in the areas of some Ethnic Armed Organizations (EAOs).
· Combatting against opium production, drug trafficking and online gambling in the areas EAOs.
· Endeavours for the development of the State and promotion of education sector.
· Preparations being made to hold a free and fair multiparty democratic general election.
· Preparations being made to take nation-wide census.
· As the condition is unusual and further works will have to be made for peaceful normality in the country, further six-month extension is needed to be granted under the Section 425 of the Constitution so that necessary measures can be taken in momentum.
Members of National Defence and Security Council (NDSC) and special invited persons made discussions over the clarifications of the Senior General and they agreed further six-month extension.
Pro Tem President U Myint Swe declared, “The duration of the state of emergency declared across the country has been extended by six months” to the National Defence and Security Council according to the decisions of all members of National Defence and Security Council as counter-terrorism measures are needed to be continued under current unusual condition in the country. Then, the (1/2024) meeting of National Defence and Security Council was ended, it is reported.
The detailed clarifications of the Senior General at the (1/2024) NDSC meeting of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar and discussions of the attendees to the meeting will be released as a Special Issue of Information Sheet.
Source: Myawady Television News (31-1-2024)
- · The National Defence and Security Council of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar held a meeting 1/2024 at the meeting hall of the SAC Chairman’s Office in Nay Pyi Taw, and Pro Tem President declared that the duration of the state of emergency declared across the country has been extended by six months in order to continue counter-terrorism measures under current unusual condition in the country.